Saturday, October 16, 2010

Halloween or Fall Festival

When I was growing up I looked forward to Halloween so I could play dress up, go trick or treating, eat candy and go to my school Halloween Carnival. I remember the Scarry House at my elementary school where the scarriest part of the room was a "room mother" dressed in a witch's costume would pat you on the butt as you walked by. Terrifying, even though my mother was waiting and watching right outside the door. Another room was the Fishing Room where you threw your fishing like over a little wall and the "room mother" (again) put a prize on your hook, gave it a jerk and you hauled your "digs" back over the wall. What a thrill. Really!! For a 6-8 year old it really was.

Was I worried or actually scared of Halloween? Did I worry about razor blades in my candy? Did I think I was celebrating the Devil's Holiday.????? NO Never thought about those things until my children started the Halloween scene. Then the only thing I worried about was tainted candy....so we did the trick or treat thing at people's houses that we knew. I was even the "room mother" several times and played the wicked witch. I never gave a thought to Halloween being a "Devil's Holiday"...not until all the church folks went nuts and started calling attention to that idea. As a matter of fact the church scared the crap out of my youngest son talking about the evilness of Halloween. I never considered the fact that Halloween was evil. All we did was dress up and collect candy.

I tell you what is nuts is all this "going to hell" stuff. Having people go through the Sunday school rooms and acting out what a horrible life after death experience you will have if you don't get your act together. Sure makes me want to run to my nearest church and join up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment